Pages

Friday 7 August 2020

Learning about Journalism

Where do I begin?

One of my favourite things is to listen to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) news every morning.

I choose the ABC because I beleive that they have the most informative and balanced news reporting in Australia. In fact, a lot of what I know about the world comes from ABC programs. Plus, no ads. I also take in as much news as possible from many other sources.

The ABC has a greater range of investigative news, ideas, and programs than any other media outlet in Australia. It's the same for the British Broadcasting Corporation (
BBC) in the UK, but I have to say, that the BBC does it better than the ABC. They have been doing it longer, but only by 10 years. ABC began in 1932, the BBC in 1922.

Below are the sites, papers, and magazines I read every day. I subscribe to The Guardian because, for me, it has the best-written content and a greater variety of coverage and stories outside the ABC and the BBC.

Non-subscription
ABC
Deutsche Welle
BBC
NPR
SBS
Google News
The Saturday Paper
The Monthly
Smart News app and Feedly for journalism stories

Subscriptions
The Guardian
Wired
Skeptic
Minerva
World Literature Today
The Philosophers Magazine
Philosophy Now
Australian Quarterly

Learning about journalism is similar to learning about music. Both can be done, to a point, by listening and reading. There is a large variety of journalistic sources to choose from on the internet, but not a lot locally. Most of the interesting and informative sites on journalism are international ones.

I go twice a week to my university library to find suggested reading for the course and also at the National Library of Australia to select books related to the study of Journalism. I hope that this course will offer me the hard facts about journalism.

Here is the course I am doing.  Bachelor of Communication and Media (Journalism) - ARB102

July 3, 2019.